sunnuntai 19. heinäkuuta 2015

Latvia

I entered to Latvia with a new friend called Sami, who is cycling in Baltics with his folding bike. The welcome to the new country was somewhat idyllic. In the morning we went to get some food from small village shop, and group of locals were having their morning boose on the stairs, in front of the shop. They were very friendly, wished us a good journey, even if the languge that we all could understand was hard to find. Latvias seemend to be more open people than Estonians, or then just having their first drinks earlier.

We were driving on the Via Baltic for some time in the rain, but the traffic and road works were slightly too much. We decided to go and see Latvias first national park, Guaja, and some 800 years old castles and older caves. We had amazing place to camp, next to a Guaja river with a view to the castle. The national park gave us properl physical test, while trying to get the bikes up the wet muddy steep hills, but by taking the panniers away and making many trips up and down we managed.

The next day we cycled to Riga, capital of Latvia. I fixed my bike and got more gas for cooking stove and other essentials. It was nice to be in the city for a change and Riga has many sights and offers things to do for all the tastes. By change, I happened to meet a friend Ammar on the street and went to have some beers afterwords. After Riga it was time to say good byes to Sami and good travelling company. For change, how nice it was to spend evenings together!

One of my dreams and the only plan for Latvia and whole Baltics was to see wild horses, which can be seen in Pape national park. Therefore, I turned my bike towards the west coast of Latvia and planned to visit first Liepaja, the third biggest city in Latvia. The bike was doing good work and i reached Liepaja in two days. The road from Riga to Liepaja was full of Second World War memorials and graves. It was a good reminder of the history of the area.

One funny note from the road: if you see a cyclist lying half way on the road and half way in the push in Latvia, the person is most likely just taking a rest. When i saw the first one, I of course thought that he had  accident with a car, and went to talk to him. Well, by doing this, I got almost hit on my face from totally drunk man, who was just sleeping to clear his head. The rest of them i didn't disturbe anymore, let the people rest when they are in need of it :)

For the first time I was using Warm Shower network and i couldn't even imagine such a warm welcome from Martin and his family. After biking 130km in one day, shower and sightseing in Liepaja soft bed gave me deep and long sleep. Big thank you!

The Russian army left the Liepaja as late as 1991 and one part of the city was full of old Russian style blockhouses and abondent buildings. I get always amazed by how fast the nature takes over the abondent places. I also learned that the situation in Ukraine is hitting hard in Latvia. In Liepaja the russians are the once, who are suffiring from it, since some of the latvian speakers have stoped talking to them.

As a city, Liepaja is interesting and full of history. Somehow, I felt that the memories and ruins, suchs as bunkers, were everywhere where i went, but at the same time, I liked the vibes of the city better than Riga. The mix of old gritty warehouses and hipster like cafes, different type of buildings and friendly people made me to like the town a lot. It was a place I could have gotten stuck, but i had a date with wild horses.

From Liepaja I continued to Pape National park. I had planned to get some water along the way, but everything was closed. Next to a graveyard, I found a well and took up some water, but the well showed out to be a graveyard of mice. I left the water and three dead mice behind me and went into next farmhouse to ask for water before entering deeper into the national park. I got the water from old Russian farmer, who invited me to his place. Since he lived alone in the house, i was a bit worried to
enter and therefore decided to continue to see the horses. He showed me the place from the where the horses were, and i left.

Yep I found the horses... and i spend many hours with them, eventually put up my tent close to the area where they were grazing. Hih, I was one big smile and chilled with the horses until the Russian man, who gave me water came. He wanted that i put down my tent and come to his place. I dont think i would have changed my spot for anything in the world, and  moreover i was not sure what his intensions were. He left, and i was worried that he goes to get some drinks and returns. Well.. So he did. I was kind of worried, but thought that before nothing happens I have nothing to worry about. Even if i am far away from people i can always run into the forest or talk myself out of the situation. The world gave me a lession again, he had returned to had me dinner. And the next morning he brought me breakfast...

Now I am in Lithuania, in Klaipeda. After the national park i felt tired and decided to take longer rest. I tired to find camping place that was on the map, but without big success. By accident, I found super friendly Thomas who is rentting cottages and he gave me a room to sleep. I have been treated like a princess with food, drinks and company. Would not think better place to recharge my energies and plan the trip further.

There is now some photos from the trip, which can be found from the picture page. Having some problems when adding them into the posts, so until I solve out these problems, all the pics are on the other page :)

While i was looking for new earphones in Liepaja I met very helpfull man, who later introduced his band and music to me. So here we go, meet Old Folkband Zari from Latvia:
http://youtu.be/bbcYKizaqeg
http://youtu.be/ylqDmyPa0b8

1 kommentti:

  1. Hyvää matkaa ihanuus!! En tiedä milloin tavataan taas, mutta siihen asti oot mun mielessä ja sydämessä yksi palanen matkalla maailmalla♡ seuraan sua ja katsotaan jos meidät vaikka jokin johdattaa samaan maahan taas joskus :)

    VastaaPoista